Wearing a dress that fits your shape makes all the difference in how you look and how comfortable you feel. Figure out what your shape is using the guide below and get an idea of what your perfect dress looks like.
Straight/Rectangle: your waist, hip, and shoulder widths are similar.
- Fit and flare and ballgowns that cinch at the waist are perfect for this shape because they create curves
- Ruching and cinching also give a straight figure a curvy look
- Pockets and peplum add shape to slim hips
- Keep it snug in the middle and add flare to the bottom
Hourglass: shoulders and hip width are similar and set off by a small waist
- Mermaid wedding gowns show off your curves
- Stay away from too many ruffles or tiers
- Enhance your waist with a belt
- A good bra will showcase your bust without causing any "wardrobe malfunctions"
Pear: your lower body is wider than your upper body, your waistline is defined and your bottom half is rounded
- A-line gowns are perfect for disguising fuller hips
- Textural details, ruffles and gathering at the top draw eyes up
- Strapless dresses show off arms and even out proportions
Apple - your hips are narrow and your shoulders and back are broad
- Empire dresses conceal excess tummy bulge
- Create the illusion of a longer torso with v-neck tops
- Wear belts at the smallest part of your waist